|Q: How do we know that the bible is real? What if it is just a novel from that time?
|A: Dear Jeanine,
|1. There is what we call “internal consistency” – that means that even though the Bible is made up of 66 books written by 40 authors on 3 continents over a 1500 year span, all of the different books and authors of the Bible agree with each other. This is even more amazing when you realize that the Bible covers the most controversial issues – the types of things people tend to disagree about – and yet they all agree.
2. What is called “translational consistency” – this means that the many copies of the Bible (manuscripts) that have been made over the centuries – more than 24,000 – are all within 98% accuracy with each other. When compared with other historical literature, this is just an astounding rate of accuracy.
3. Historical accuracy – Time and time again, the histories recorded in the Bible have been proven true, even when there was no other evidence available in the whole world. For example, the prophet Daniel wrote about a Babylonian king related to Nebuchadnezzar named Belshazzar. No other historical record existed in the whole world that told about a king named Belshazzar. Many people said it was proof that the Bible was wrong. However, in the 1920’s, archaeologists found some artifacts from Babylon that told of the king Belshazzar, proving the Bible true! There are many other similar examples of the Bible’s historical accuracy.
4. Cultural appeal – The Bible speaks to every culture on the earth. It is still the best-selling book of the year every year.
5. Bible prophecy – the prophecies of the Bible, confirmed with history, tell us the Bible is more than just an ordinary book. For example, if I predicted that your mom and dad would have another baby, and that baby would have curly black hair; when he is 4 year old he will be reading college-level books; when he is 12 he will write his first book; when he is 18 he will win the Olympic gold medal, and so on… If all of these things happen, you would believe that I can tell the future, and I only listed 5 predictions. The Bible has over 600 that have been proven true. Jesus said, “I am telling you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he” (John 13:19).
6. Experience – There have been thousands of people in every generation of human history that have believed in the Bible. There is documented evidence that people’s lives have been changed by it. I am one of those people. The Bible changed my life. It changed the kind of person I am. I experienced the power of God in the Bible, like millions of others have through the centuries.
All of these things together give us plenty of evidence to have confidence in the Bible. It is God’s book. Some people have said that BIBLE stands for Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth! God gave us the Bible so we could know Him better, and His Son Jesus, and be ready to go to heaven with Him when He comes again. We can also help others be ready by sharing the truths of the Bible with them, too!
Thanks for writing, and remember, there's never been a better time to share Jesus!
Back to Top